SWM022: Does my spouse find me unattractive
A couple of years ago I got a message from a reader who was beside herself with unfounded fears that her husband was no longer attracted to her. She hadn’t asked him. She had no indication that he wasn’t, but she had this deep seated fear that he wasn’t.
So, I ran a survey, asking spouses about their attraction to their husband or wife. And today I thought I’d share some of results with you, to help anyone else who has the same fears.
- According to the wives
- 93% of wives said they found their husband attractive
- Even though 24% said their husband had a serious medical, physical or mental condition.
- Even though 60% said their husband was less fit than when they got married.
- 54% of wives said they’d like to have more sex and 39% said they like the amount their having. Only 6% wanted less sexual activity in their marriage.
- According to the husbands
- 96% of husbands said they found their wife attractive
- In fact, 56% said they found their wife more attractive than when they got married, and an additional 29% said they were just as attracted as when they got married.
- Even though 58% said their wife was less fit now.
- Attraction doesn’t seem to be tied to fitness or health (mental or physical)
- Attraction seems to be tied to:
- Length of marriage (25-30 years seems to be the sweet spot)
- Household leadership style (with husband-led in the lead, and wife-lead causing problems across the board)
37 Questions for spouses to ask each other about sex
Subscribe to get the 2 page PDF full of questions to help you and your spouse start to talk about your sex life.