SWM007: Spiritual Intimacy – Praying with your spouse
Today’s episode it about praying with your spouse to increase intimacy in your marriage. Often prayer is a level of intimacy many are scared to step into. But, getting past the initial obstacle means opening up your marriage to a whole new level of intimacy, which can in turn spur other areas of intimacy forward.
- Marriages have many types of intimacy. Physical intimacy, emotional intimacy, but often we forget about spiritual intimacy.
- Like the staves of a barrel, if any is too short, the intimacy in the marriage cannot reach it’s full potential. The area of intimacy lacking will be a limiter to the rest.
How does praying help intimacy?
- Authentic prayer requires vulnerability. It’s a time to be open and honest with God. Praying with your spouse encourages openness and honesty with your spouse, and they get to see the “real” you.
- Praying together helps keep your spiritual life aligned.
- Praying together helps keep you in the loop on what’s going on with your spouse.
- Praying together helps force you to make time, if only a little, to be together, without interruptions.
- Half of the couples that took our week of prayer challenge found a 35% increase in sexual frequency when committed to praying together once a day for a week.
How to start praying together
- Start simple, short, easy prayers
- Follow a 40 days of prayer devotional if you’re not sure what to say (our church has done this one, but you can choose your own)
- You can both pray, or just one each time, you decide
What if my spouse won’t pray?
- Ask if you can still pray with them
- Model it for them
- Make it a safe environment for them
- Ask them every so often (monthly or less) if they want to pray
- Leave them space in the prayer time to pray in case they want to jump in.